List of authors and some of their books

30 posts in this topic

I will start.  R.A. salavtore;  Drizzt series , spearweilder, Demonwars saga.

AndrewSam and Grantopolo like this

Steven Erickson: Malazan Book of the Fallen Series

Robert Jordan: Conan Series

Robert Jordan and Brandon Sanderson: The Wheel of Time

Brandon Sanderson: The Mistborn Series, The Elantris Series, The Stormlight Archive

Joe Abercrombie: The First Law Trilogy

The Don't ever fucking reads: 

Inheritance Quadrilogy by Paolini

Grantopolo likes this

Reading the last installment of The Ravens Shadow. The Queen of Fire, pretty legit. Lol Booyaz your tastes in books are not unlike my own, I see. Give the Blood Song a go. You won't regret it. Also I'm quite the Dark Tower junky so...Stephen King is a must imo.

Grantopolo likes this

The Malazan series is fantastic, blows J R Tolkien outta the water, I have the entire series in paper AND digital lol.

Karsa and Coltaine are my fav from the Malazan books. :)

Grantopolo likes this

I will start.  R.A. salavtore;  Drizzt series , spearweilder, Demonwars saga.

Use to love the hell out of Drizzt and his adventures. But frankly Salvatore's style started waining. With A Thousand Orcs. At least thats what I think it was called.

Grantopolo likes this

Use to love the hell out of Drizzt and his adventures. But frankly Salvatore's style started waining. With A Thousand Orcs. At least thats what I think it was called.

Feels like the more he writes of Drizzt, the less adventurous and exciting it feels. 

Grantopolo and Gutts like this

Feels like the more he writes of Drizzt, the less adventurous and exciting it feels. 

Agreed. Way too much emo and self anylitical thinking going on. Swear this dude was a baddass before.

Agreed. Way too much emo and self anylitical thinking going on. Swear this dude was a baddass before.

I miss The Hunter D:

I started reading the Erivis Cale books...pretty legit. Kinda took the edge off.

I started reading the Erivis Cale books...pretty legit. Kinda took the edge off.

I'm actually going to be starting my own book series on kindle, I start writing it tommorrowish as my kindle keyboard comes in. 

Gutts likes this

I'm actually going to be starting my own book series on kindle, I start writing it tommorrowish as my kindle keyboard comes in.

Damn, I'm jealous. I've always wanted to write a book. Good luck man. Arc for me please lol.

Wow, I haven't met anyone who's read the Malazan series in such a long time. Currently reading the first book of the Mistborn saga.

Wow, I haven't met anyone who's read the Malazan series in such a long time. Currently reading the first book of the Mistborn saga.

It's extremely good, Sanderson will respond to your personal emails too, cool guy. 

It's extremely good, Sanderson will respond to your personal emails too, cool guy. 

Dude you need to write that book, and send me a copy :D.

Dude you need to write that book, and send me a copy :D.

only 2 pages into it lol

Clive Cussler: Serpent, The Silent Sea, The Storm, The Stryker, Treasure of Khan, and pretty much any other book he has done, which is a ton.
Jack Higgins: Sean Dillon series.
Samuel Shellabarger: Captain from Castile.
Francis Yerby: Foxes of Harrow.

Louis L'Amour: Every book I've read by him was good, but he does mostly westerns.

Frank Peretti: Monster.

Patrick Rothfuss: kingkiller chronicles.

Great reads. He takes a bit of time to release books, but that's because he wants then to be perfect.

Many of the books I read, I do not think have no interest to this community.  This is from past experiences.  If you would like to know what I read, do let me know.  

Every year I decide I will read the Malazan series, every year I get one book further than last year and then get distracted. I really like them but they take some dedication to get through. next year I might make it to book 5!

Most of the books on here are among my top reads (I actually quite liked the inheritance cycle as well, don't hate me). Another author I'd recommend is Nick Harkaway. Gone Away World is one of my all time favourites.

A lot of the stuff I read is pretty old, but if you're interested in Anglo-Saxon and/or Middle English literature, here are some good starters:

Anglo-Saxon (translated):

The Battle of Maldon - http://lightspill.com/poetry/oe/maldon.html

The Finnsburh Fragment - http://www.heorot.dk/finnsburh-en.html

The Ruin - http://homepages.bw.edu/~uncover/megan%20via%20ruin%20trans.htm

The Wanderer - http://www.anglo-saxons.net/hwaet/?do=get&type=text&id=wdr

Middle English (translated):

The Miller's Tale - http://english.fsu.edu/canterbury/miller.html

Winner & Waster - http://www.southampton.ac.uk/~wpwt/trans/winner/wintrans.htm

Lybeaus Desconus - http://d.lib.rochester.edu/camelot/text/weston-libeaus-desconus

Sir Corneus - (sadly, there is no translation of this one, but it's great) http://d.lib.rochester.edu/teams/text/shuffelton-codex-ashmole-61-sir-corneus

Grantopolo likes this

Elizabeth Moon wrote one of the best fantasy trilogies out there:

The Deed of Paksenarrion:

1. Sheepfarmer’s Daughter
  2. Divided Allegiance
  3. Oath of Gold

This series is great. I give it 10 out of 5 stars. You NEED to pick this up.

Stay away from her other works though. If you read these 3 books you'll have read her best stuff. Her other books annoyed me cause they fumble the universe she creates in this serries.

P.S. I am gonna pick up the Malazan Series, and see if I like it. I see a lot of peoples recommending it.

BeeNo, Grantopolo and Booyah like this

Yeah I have a second edition of paradiso, furthermore I have several titles on middle English and latin. I have a good collection of 19th and 18th century of orginal literature. I also read religious documents from as far back as the 3rd century.

Grantopolo likes this

Elizabeth Moon wrote one of the best fantasy trilogies out there:

The Deed of Paksenarrion:

1. Sheepfarmer’s Daughter
  2. Divided Allegiance
  3. Oath of Gold

This series is great. I give it 10 out of 5 stars. You NEED to pick this up.

Stay away from her other works though. If you read these 3 books you'll have read her best stuff. Her other books annoyed me cause they fumble the universe she creates in this serries.

I was just going to post about my all time favorite here! but my brother beat me too it! I will second the don't read her other stuff it doesn't even feel like the same writer. I've read this series at least 10 times!

Grantopolo and Booyah like this

2 Good books written in the first person with some gritty heroes:

"The Chronicles of Amber" by Roger Zelazny.

"The Book of the New Sun" by Gene Wolfe.

I am wondering how obscure these two serries are. Has anyone read these books?

Booyah likes this