So, how does one actually get better?

7 posts in this topic

Hey there,

I play League on a regular base since 2014 (as far as I can remember). I started supp and mained it (part bc of my real life profession, part of "the new guy plays supp" thing). Got me out of bronze, playing (old one hit stun) Taric. Then I made it gold with the help of a good adc in duo queue. But although I got quite good with some tank supps, and even got into some decent jungling, there was always sth. missing. I felt like I was constantly overlooking things and hitting roadblocks when it game to the bigger picture. I read guides, watched replays and coachings. I am also spending a lot of time on builds. But the material is just too much to sort out. And I have the nagging feeling, that, taking in account the time and effort I put into the game, I should be playing better and be more positive about it. I think a lot of you know the feeling, when u put effort into sth. like a game (when you could do sth. "worthwhile") and not get a positive emotional response from it. I think that emotion is the cause of a big part of League's community problems.

These are IMHO the  skills needed, and I thought maybe I could get some input on the points mentioned, or how to approach ones "training".

Basics:

1. Reaction Time
  2. Peripheral Vision
  3. Fine motor skills / hand-eye coordination / Mouse accuracy
  4. Spatial orientation
  5. Multitasking (or rather rapid sequential cognitive processing paired with muscle memory)
  6. Mindset
  7. "Fighting Skills" - Reading the opponent 
    1. How skilled is my opponent?
  8. Team Situation - 5 individuals 
    1. Tilting
    2. Teamwork - how far can it go?
  9. Self-Picture / Self-Confidence
  10. Social factors (leisure time, family, partner, work...)
  11. Technical Factors (Ping, FPS, Display, Hardware...)
    1. GUI / Keyboard / Mouse - Layout

Micro:

1.  Movement / Actions
    1. Attack Move, Auto cancelling
    2. input buffering, target selection (using heroes only button or not)
    3. Animation cancelling
    4. Skillshot Usage
    5. Dodging
    6. Flash mechanics, Collision, Pathing...
  2. -Hero mechanics (skills, cooldowns, summoner spell synergies)
  3. Smiting

"Sub-Macro":

1. Laning / Farming (Last-Hit, Stances, Lane Types)
    1. Wave control (really tough one)
    2. Trading (when, how, Outplay-Potential)
  2. Jungling
    1. Clearing Paths / Map Position
    2. Counter Gank (do/get)
    3. Ganking / Baiting
  3. Teamfight (Engage / Disengage, Location, Positioning)

Macro:

1. Using the tab screen (some guys can caclulate the jungling route from that, sounds nice in theory, but quite hard to do in an actual match I find)
  2. Map awareness (teleport / global skills)
    1. Vision (did you ward, and was it efficient?)
    2. Roaming
      1. Sieging
      2. Lane - Swap / Assignment; contesting CS
      3. Split Push (how and when or: "I split and my team dies")
    3. Back to Base timing - It's all bout the money - or not... (Jungle!)
  3. Objective Priorization - Win conditions
    1. Objective Control
    2. Game phases (Early-Mid-Late)
  4. Comminication (Chat / Ping)
    1. Calls - whose call is right?

Meta:

• Tier List
  • Team composition
  • Pick / Ban Phase
  • Synergies / Counters
    • other heroes' stats (cooldowns, damages, powerspikes...)
  • Champion Kits -
    • Itemization (+Runes / Masteries), situational Adaptation
  • Champion Pool / Champion Roles

So far so good. Think there are still points to mention, but I am out of material right now. 

So long

Lehain

Booyah likes this

3 minutes ago, Komaynu said:

@Inten or @League Bot could probably provide some insight into this

Wtf Komaynu posted something on the forums

League Bot, Fraejix and Booyah like this

1 hour ago, Roughknite said:

Wtf Komaynu posted something on the forums

lmao :jarjarbinks:xD

Hey,

thx for the like and the replies. Not really sure where this list is going. Thought maybe to fill it with really good lessons and stuff for each point. Maybe in an online MindMap or something... o.O

Basics:

1. Reaction Time: Can't be taught but playing more= better reactions which are more often more important than fast reactions. I know a lot of people who have never reached as high as I have with better reaction time but who are unable to make correct decisions.
  2. Peripheral Vision: Make it a habit to look at your minimap more often at least every 10s~ especially as support and jungle.
  3. Fine motor skills / hand-eye coordination / Mouse accuracy: Find the dpi that fits your skill level. Start with lower dpi and if u feel confident work your way to higher dpi. Lower dpi might make your reactions slower but I think precision is more important than speed, especially in anything under diamond. (I personally peaked at d3 with only around 700 dpi which is quite low)
  4. Spatial orientation: Well if you are a guy you luck out since male brains seem to be naturally slightly more inclined to spatial orientation other than that playing puzzle games can help with this, there isn't really anything you can do to help improve this in league itself expect familiarizing yourself with the size of various abilities/champs through lots of playtime.
  5. Multitasking (or rather rapid sequential cognitive processing paired with muscle memory): This only improves through playing the game a lot, particularly playing a decent amount of the same champion with a similar style in order to become comfortable with the champions mechanics (mechanics here not only meaning how to use your abilities effectively but also knowing their approximate damage you do in regards to you items/levels vs the targets items/levels and when you should hold onto your abilities/summoner spells (ss))
  6. Mindset: Just have fun, the minute you start to take the game overly seriously is when frustration sets in and your gameplay starts to suffer. Just think of every mistake you make as a learning opportunity and even continued mistakes can help with muscle memory so don't stress to much about making rapid improvements.
  7. "Fighting Skills" - Reading the opponent 
    1. How skilled is my opponent? This mostly pertains to normals as your ranked games should have similar skill levels to you. They may be more mechanically inclined but understand how to take objects poorly. Either way don't worry too much about how good your opponent is.
  8. Team Situation - 5 individuals 
    1. Tilting: Crack a cold one
    2. Teamwork - how far can it go?: Really far considering that unless you are a split pusher or super fed teamwork is needed to win 90% of your matches.

I didn't answer the last questions because they are mostly personal questions that are ultimately down to your own judgement.

Micro:

1.  Movement / Actions
    1. Attack Move, Auto cancelling: I don't use attack move at all so I can't comment on it and you can practice auto cancelling/ orb walking/ last hitting in training/sandbox mode
    2. input buffering, target selection (using heroes only button or not): Heroes only button is most necessary under tower or near baron/dragon so don't worry to much about it. Input buffering only works on some abilities so you can get used to it if you are spamming like 40 champs for no reason.
    3. Animation cancelling: Again champ specific I highly recommend if you are trying to improve to not play every single champ that looks cool. Otherwise don't worry about it, animation cancelling simply makes your champion more efficient but they aren't necessarily needed to be done at a high level to get better at the game.
    4. Skillshot Usage: Play around with your DPI
    5. Dodging: Don't focus solely on one thing. ie don't just farm without being aware of the enemy or aa without being aware of enemy champs in order to improve this. Also, try not to be predictable and dodge the same way every single time an enemy sends our a skill.
    6. Flash mechanics, Collision, Pathing... SANDBOX MODE BABY
  2. -Hero mechanics (skills, cooldowns, summoner spell synergies) SANDBOX MOD BABY
  3. Smiting well usually you pair smite with a dmg ability so your smite does "more". Other than that its reaction timing with dmg output. Not much to say here.

"Sub-Macro":

1. Laning / Farming (Last-Hit, Stances, Lane Types) Sandbox for last hittinh
    1. Wave control (really tough one) Watch vids to get used to it. idk I'm very comfortable with waves now so I think I would have a hard time explaining my thought process when its more reactionary now.
    2. Trading (when, how, Outplay-Potential) This comes down to knowledge of champions/ how comfortable you are on champs/ how many times you have played the champ to know how to effectively trade.
  2. Jungling: I don't jungle much sorry bro
  3. Teamfight (Engage / Disengage, Location, Positioning) I need more info on what champs/roles your playing and vs who. Very circumstantial 

Macro:

1. Using the tab screen (some guys can caclulate the jungling route from that, sounds nice in theory, but quite hard to do in an actual match I find) Yeah it has to do with how many jungle creeps killed.
  2. Map awareness (teleport / global skills) again look at you minimap often
    1. Vision (did you ward, and was it efficient?) please buy pinks throughout the game as a support/jg
    2. Roaming
      1. Sieging: again depends on roll/powerspikes/where your team is
      2. Lane - Swap / Assignment; contesting CS: Rule of thumb if bot takes a turret early try to help another lane take a turret
      3. Split Push (how and when or: "I split and my team dies"): Communicate with team regarding tp timers/ objective timers/ and make sure your team help ward if possible
    3. Back to Base timing - It's all bout the money - or not... (Jungle!) don't jungle (;´༎ຶД༎ຶ`)
  3. Objective Priorization - Win conditions
    1. Objective Control: As a jungler try not to allow the enemy to take advantage of poor back timings by your laners to do dmg to turrets/ catch the wave. Also, ping when dragon /baron are up and tell your lanes to purchase items beforehand
    2. Game phases (Early-Mid-Late)
  4. Comminication (Chat / Ping)
    1. Calls - whose call is right?: again there are so many possible calls this is hard to state as fact what is right/wrong 

Meta:

• Tier List: You can look at winrates of champs on stuff like op.gg or watch pro games
  • Team composition: unless you are playing as a group most people will never try to make a good comp
  • Pick / Ban Phase: Just ban the few ops
  • Synergies / Counters: Not that big of a deal in lower elo tbh
    • other heroes' stats (cooldowns, damages, powerspikes...)
  • Champion Kits -
    • Itemization (+Runes / Masteries), situational Adaptation most champions have very VERY small adaptions to their build depending on the game such as what item they build first or changing out 1 defensive item for another so if you think some crazy build/mastery change is gonna be op it probably isn't. Just look up masteries/runes on sites like probuilds as long as you don't super F them up its fine tbh
  • Champion Pool / Champion Roles: Limit yourself so that you aren't playing 70 champs please

EDIT: Sorry about the late reply. Also, I rushed over some topic feel free to hit me up here on the forums or on league IGN: LoL Sucks

Komaynu likes this

Oh boy.. This is a long topic/list. Been/still am busy so can't comment on this now, as there's so much on this, but League Bot covered a lot of the basic points. His last point on limiting your champion pool is correct, though you should ideally know what all the other champions do as well.

Komaynu and League Bot like this