My Story

4 posts in this topic

So where do I begin, first off my name is Christopher Jones, a boring usual American name.  I am 41 years old, been married for 18 years and have 1 boy named Cameron who is age 11.  

I got into gaming early on probably around 1st grade with my Intellivision system that Dad purchased and we used to duke it out on baseball games and Snafu.  That graduated to Intellivision 2,3,4 editions and Advanced Dungeon & Dragons.  I got my first NES in 6th grade and began with Duck Hunt, Mario, and Tecmo Bowl.  I was an average student B+ mostly cause I hated homework and just aced tests and quizzes instead, too busy playing sports (basketball, baseball, cross country, track (indoor and outdoor), golf and being a soccer referee.

At age 16 got my first job at local country club picking up range balls, cleaning clubs and getting members bags on carts, a lucurative venture as I hustled tips constantly.   I was a member of 4A State High School Golf Championship teams all 4 years of High School, think we lost 1 or 2 matches entire 4 years.  Got a scholarship for golf to a small southern school but passed to go to a bigger school and a open tryout for golf team (Appalachian State University in Boone,  NC), made the team but tore a ligament in my shoulder when I hit a tree root with a 3 iron.   Once I recovered from that injury my grades were horrible cause I joined a fraternity and spent way to much time drinking and chasing girls instead of studying.

Met my now wife online on a Bulletin Board called ISCA, where you created a 5 line profile and could insta message them and talk for hours.  Drove to Knoxville, TN (University of Tennessee) to meet her one day, basically a blind date, we hit it off and dated for about a year and half, in which time I had left school and was working 4 jobs (Bank Teller, Waiter, Blockbuster, Front Desk Clerk at hotel) while living on my own at 18 with some roommates.  Finally I got a job in insurance typing out policies for a cool $25k a year.   I was working on my golf game to go pro and play on what is now the Web.Com Tour (was the Nike Tour back in the day) and had qualified for my first event in Missouri, however the weekend before I was to take off and go practice, my gf invited me to a football game at Tennessee, being a sports nut, I drove my brother and I to Knoxville to see the game, only we didn't make it.  I flipped my car after hitting a pothole in the middle of an S curve in the mountains, it sent my car off the road and skidding down the mountain, my front end hit a water culvert and bent the front end under itself which flipped us end over end 8 times about 75 feet down the mountain at 10pm on a Friday night.  Luckily we had passed a guy about 2 miles back who saw our flashing lights emitting from down the mountain and he happend to be an EMT with a CB radio in his car.  I had taken the windshield to the face and the steering wheel to my midsection which lacererated my liver in half.  I was airlifted to a trauma center and was conscious the entire time making jokes to the airflight crew that this was the most expensive ride I've ever taken and there was no in flight movie or peanuts.

When I got to the hospital, of course I had 8 female nurses cutting off all my clothes, which I joked was a $200 outfit they were destroying and asking them if ER was a show that depicted real life they laughed and said I was not their typical patient, evidently they were used to getting screamed at and punched by crazy ppl all the time.  One nurse was measuring a tube from my nose to my stomach and I was like what are you doing and she said we are gonna put this up your nose and into your stomach, I told her you can't do that they aren't connected!!  Oh but they are!

Doc comes in and says well you have 2 options, we can perform liver surgery on you which is a 50/50 death proposition (requires 30 units of transfusion) or play the wait and see game, I was like option #2 please.  My parents were at an NHL game and came home to a voice message at midnight telling them your sons were in an accident, one had to be life flighted, the other might have a broken neck, call us (Real Sensitive folks those hospital staff)  My parents freaked and drove the 3.5 hrs to the hospital, dad got pulled by a state trooper doing 95 in a 45 but the trooper let him go after verifying his story.

BTW, my girlfriend had never met my parents so the first time they met was in the hospital (awkward for her).  My brother was okay, he ended up with a severe whiplash, but neither of broke a bone, I came within the thickness of 1 strand of hair of puncturing the vena cava artery which would have killed me in 4 minutes.  However I lost 70 pounds of muscle and weight, was in ICU for 14 days, coded 3 times, general hospital another 14 days and then to a local hotel for a week before I could go home, my professional golf career in shambles as I couldn't play for 1.5 years while the liver re-generated itself back together.

So I went back to my insurance job, learning the profession and graduating to an insurance broker, moved to DC to open a satellite office, my gf moved to Raleigh to start her career, eventually I moved back and in with her and we got married and moved to Alpharetta, GA, lived there for 4 years and decided it was time for a kid, so we moved back to Raleigh, had my son, then in 2009 the economy tanked, my job got relocated and I was out of work for 1.5 years so I went back to school for computers and became certified in Microsoft Systems Administration and Cisco Certified Network Administration.  I went to work for a local fiber ISP and class A data center for about 1.5 years and then was offered the job I hold currently working for my family run business of Buffalo Wild Wings, we own 35 stores in 8 states (AK, MI, OH, IN, IL, VA, NC, MN), I currently sit on several IT committees at Buffalo Wild Wings Corporate and travel frequently.

My passions are still golf and I play on Amateur tours in NC, I'm currently building our dream house here in Raleigh on a golf course no less :)   Playing video games (PS4 and HoTs)  I was a clan member of a top 50 world guild in WOW back in the day competing for world firsts and NA Firsts back in the Molten Core, Blackwing Lair, Serpentshrine, Archimonde days, back when 40 mans where cool and a hassle.  I was a healer and my name Forror (4 or)  was random generated by WOW.

That's pretty much it, I love wine (Cabernet's), Cigars, fine food (Ramsay, Flay, Murimoto, Puck) dinners.

But that's me the newest clan member.

Mudvayne likes this

That is one hell of a life you have had so far... Great to have you with us Forror! Looking forward to playing some HotS with you!

Forror likes this

Welcome to the clan! Looking forward to getting to know you better (even though I just read your life story).

Forror likes this

Hey... I know you.... (well I do now). well written, thank you and welcome

Forror likes this